Sunday, February 28, 2010

A letter


Dear Fellow Runner,

With laced up shoes and high hope for success we begin our run. Some days the success can override the distance, other days it becomes too much.

As my feet hit the pavement and my breathing becomes deeper I turn up the music to drown out the sound. I listen to songs that have a good beat—including Coldplay, Rihanna, and yes….Miley Cyrus. A lot of newer songs, a lot of older songs. Sometimes I hear music that reminds me of the past—and I remember instances, places, conversations.

When the music gets old (because after 6 + miles, it does) I rely on my thoughts to carry me through. What do I think about? Anything. Everything. Sometimes the thoughts are focused and planned. At other times they’re sporadic and jumbled. But I think. Some days I think about how lucky I am to be running, to have time set-aside for myself. Most times, I think about how lucky I am to be running with someone. Someone who pushes just as hard. Someone who gets me going. Someone who has confidence and determination. And I forget. I forget that I am not the only runner. I am not the only one who needs the support. My forgetfulness is careless. I overlook what I should not.

Running is hard. In fact, I think running sucks. But the happiness I feel from accomplishing something hard, and accomplishing that something with someone I appreciate and love is the greatest success.

Thank you for the insight. For the distance, the over-come hurdles, the success. Here’s to the many miles and distance ahead!


Sincerely,

me


P.S. I found this quote…

“Success isn't how far you got,

but the distance you traveled from where you started.”


I think we’ve traveled pretty far.


2 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like your running partner needs to get a grip. She's probably lucky to have a running partner at all. I hear she's a slow and sweaty runner anyway. You should ditcher her . . . But she has a cool running hat now.

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

This post is so well-worded. I'd have to agree. I miss running so much! In a couple short months, I'll be able to again! Thanks for the reminder of how special, awesome, and rewarding it is!