Monday, June 16, 2008

1st place

I can’t stop thinking about three people who participated in the Pleasant Grove Triathlon on Saturday morning. These three women were not typical “triathloners.” They were older and a little over weight. They were women who truly were inspirational to me!

I was standing in the middle of the road directing runners/bikers where to go depending on what lap they were on—yeah, that got a little confusing. The participants who were biking were all about finished and on to swimming when I was told that three women were still coming and they were only on their first lap. Since the volunteers at the next station had cleaned up and left, I hustled down the road to the corner to watch for them and direct them around the corner. I got there just a little before they came and cheered them on. I watched as one of the women pedaled, her legs shaking from exhaustion. As they rounded the corner I stood there watching them climb the hill, so impressed with their determination.





Awhile passed and the decision was made to start handing out the awards. Still no sign of the three women. Finally, in the middle of raffling prizes out, 3 bikers could be seen and were on their way to the pool to finish the race. They had completed their last biking lap. Volunteers and other participants stopped what they were doing and cheered them on. They finished swimming with a determination that was inspirational. These three women accomplished something they had set out to do. I take that back. It wasn’t just “something,” it was a TRIATHLON,--it was hard. It was a battle of strength and will. A battle they won!

I got to find these three women after they finished and give them a prize and a “congratulations.” I will forever be impressed by their determination. So inspirational.


The smiles on their faces told it all. They may not have received a plaque, a medal, or even a ribbon---but in my book, they’ll always be 1st place.


1 comment:

Jill said...

That really was awesome to watch! I was so inspired by them! Go Women!